Indian Institute of Technology IIT BHU
Indian Institute of Technology (BHU) is situated in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India and also it is the public Engineering Institute which also known as IIT BHU. It was established in 1919 as the Banaras Engineering College then in 1968 it become the Institute of Technology, (Banaras Hindu University). In 2012 it was nominated as Indian Institute of Technology also the IIT (BHU) has three inter-disciplinary schools and 13 departments. The Rajeev Sangal is the Director of IIT (BHU).
History of IIT BHU:
Banaras Engineering college (BENCO) is also known as IIT BHU, Banaras Hindu University (IT-BHU), the College of Mining and Metallurgy (MINMET), the College of Technology (TECHNO), the establishment of all this is familiarly linked with Banaras Hindu University. On 19th January 1919, the first Convocation Ceremony was held at (BHU). Maharaja Krishnaraja Wadiyar is the Chancellor of the University, and also he had performed the opening ceremony of (BENCO). On 11th Feb 1919, the Artisan course started. Thanks to the activeness of its founder, Pt. Madan Mohan Malaviya because of which (BHU) has a credit of first starting degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, metallurgy, and Pharmaceutics.
In 1920 under BANCO the Department of Geology was started. The Geology Department has introduced the courses in Metallurgy and Mining. In July 1921 the Department of Industrial chemical was started and also the Metallurgy and mining become a separate department in 1923 afterward it turned into the college of Mining and Metallurgy in 1944.
The first Indian university who has introduced the Pharmaceutical Chemistry study was BHU. In 1932 the initiate was taken when a new subject’s for the B.Sc. The exam includes (a) Pharmaceutical studies, (b) Chemistry and (c) Botany with Pharmacognosy which was started in 1934. The degree of Bachelor of Pharmacy a new three year’s course was introduced in 1935. The Central Hindu College controls the science department of the University, a new College of Science was represented containing the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Physics, Chemistry, Industrial Chemistry and Ceramics, Botany, Zoology, and Geology also the Department of glass Technology course was include in the university in 1937.
The campus of IIT BHU:
The IIT BHU campus consists of around 1300 acres of land in which IIT BHU, Varanasi also has an accommodation and co-educational school which is built under the area of around 400 acres and is situated at the southern end of Varanasi and is on the banks of the river Ganga.
Medical Facility of IIT BHU Varanasi:
The Health Care Complex looks after all the Students health problems. All the students of IIT BHU Varanasi get Health Diaries which take the place of Students ID and medical record of the students. If any emergency case happens, the case looks by BHU Trauma Center. Sir Sunderlal Hospital is also attached to the Institute of the medical science of the BHU for specialized medical treatments, and the consultation of senior specialist doctors are also available.
Note: For study materials of JEE Main, JEE Advance and IIT JAM click here
Library Facilities of IIT BHU Varanasi:
The IIT BHU campus has many departmental Library along with one main library. The libraries consist of more than 1,00,000 books of collection and great numbers of Technical & Scientific Journals. All the students of the campus are provided with a certain number of books or document for the semester preparation.
Academics of IIT BHU Varanasi:
The IIT BHU, Varanasi institutes has many degree programs and courses such as 4- years program for the degree of Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech) & Bachelor of Pharmacy (B. Pharm). The 5- years plans for integrated Dual Degree (IDD) & Integrated Master Degree program (IMD). The Integrated Dual Degree has both combined B. Tech & M. Tech degree or degrees of B. Pharm & M. Pharm. Students who have to join any of this program and wants admission in IIT BHU, Varanasi have to go through the Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) which are conducted by the Indian Institutes of Technology in India.
The Programs & Courses of the Undergraduate departments are given below:
- For Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech) the courses are Ceramic Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering & Mining Engineering.
- For Bachelor of Pharmaceuticals (B. Pharm), the courses are Pharmaceutical Sciences.
- For Integrated Dual Degree (B. Tech & M. Tech) the courses are Biochemical Engineering, Bioengineering with M. Tech in Biomedical Technology, Civil Engineering with M. Tech in Structural Engineering, Ceramic Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering with M. Tech in Power Electronics, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Material Science & Technology and Mining Engineering.
- For Integrated Dual Degree (B. Pharm & M. Pharm) the courses are Pharmaceutical Sciences.
- For Integrated Master’s Degree (M. Tech) the courses are Industrial Chemistry, Mathematics & Computing and Engineering Physics.
The Institute in postgraduate programs offers courses for (M. Tech) Master of Technology & Ph. D degrees. All the entry to the Master of Technology is done through the GATE, Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering which is conducted by both the Indian Institutes of Science & Indian Institutes of Technology.
The Programs & Courses of the Postgraduate departments are given below:
- Tech in Civil Engineering such as Hydraulics & Water Resources Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Structural Engineering & Transportation Engineering.
- Tech in Ceramic Engineering.
- Tech in Chemical Engineering.
- Tech in Electronics Engineering such as Microwave Engineering, Microelectronics, Digital Techniques & Instrumentation and Communication System Engineering.
- Tech in Electricals Engineering such as Electrical Machines & Drives, Power Systems, Controls Systems & Power Electronics.
- Tech in Mechanical Engineering such as Machine Design, Production Engineering & Heat Power Engineering.
- Tech in Mining Engineering such as Mine Environment, Rock Mechanics & Mine Planning.
- Tech in Metallurgical Engineering such as Extractive Metallurgy, Metals & Materials Processing and Alloy Technology.
- Tech in System Engineering.
- Tech in Industrial Management.
- Tech in Biochemical Engineering.
- Tech in Biomedical Engineering.
- Tech in Materials Science & Technology.
- Pharm, in Pharmaceutical Sciences such as Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmacology & Pharmacognosy.
Department of IIT BHU, Varanasi:
The Academics departmental programs of the IIT BHU, Varanasi are given below:
- Ceramic Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- English & Computational Linguistics
- Biomedical Engineering
- Biochemical Engineering
- Material Science & Technology
The Centers for Advanced Studies (CAS) are the departments of Electronics Engineering, Mining Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering & Chemical Engineering this department are recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) of India as an Advanced Studies. These Departments are supported by the schemes of Govt, of India such as FIST, SAP & DST schemes.
Student Life of IIT BHU, Varanasi:
The IIT BHU, Varanasi campus has accommodation facility for the students, research scholars, faculty members and for married students who are staying with couples. In the campus there are seventeen hostels building in which twelve hostel buildings are for male students, four are for female students, and one is for students who are married.
All the Students Activity programs are managed by the Students Gymkhana councils & the students Parliament respectively. The Gymkhana of IIT BHU, Varanasi has 4 Council Department such as the Cultural Council, Film & Media Council, the Science & Technology Council, and the Games & Sports Council. The faculty members serve as the Counsellor, and every council is controlled by a General Secretary & 2 Joint General Secretaries who are elected by the boards.
The four councils and their programs are given below:
- Theatre Club
- Dance Club
- Quiz Club
- Literary Club
- Western Music Club
- Fine Arts Club
- Indian Music Club
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY COUNCIL:
- Astronomy Club
- Green Club
- Aeromodelling Club
- Robotics Club
- Club of Programmers
- Technical & Rural Outreach Club
- Society of Automotive Engineers
- Club of Economics & Finance
FILM & MEDIA COUNCIL:
- Design Club
- Media Club
- Photography Club
- Outreach Club
- Animation Club
- Cine Club
GAMES & SPORTS COUNCIL:
Students Parliaments of IIT BHU, Varanasi:
To take care over the matters of the Students life in the campus, there are many students body consisting of various committees. On 2015 Jan the election for the student’s parliament committee was done, and the first chamber parliament had around six members from B. Tech, M. Tech & Ph. D Departments.
The standing committees of the Students body are given below:
- Finance Committee
- Parliamentary Affairs Committee
- Festivals Committee
- Nominations Committee
- Emergency Committee
- Security Committee
- Hostel Affairs & General Welfare Committee
- Web Management Committee
- Training & Placement Committee
- UG Academic Affair Committee
- Alumni Relations Committee
- PG Academic Affair Committee
- Grievance Redressal 7 Enquires Committee
Ranking of IIT BHU, Varanasi:
- The Outlook India had ranked 6th in 2015
- The Dataquest had ranked 4th in 2015
- The India Today has ranked 6th in 2016
- The Ministry of Human Resource Development has listed Varanasi has 14th in National Institute ranking in April 2016.
Departmental Festival of IIT BHU, Varanasi:
The Departments of IIT BHU, Varanasi arranges its festivals of its theory because to promote the students practical application of classroom knowledge and to bring every student under one roof of the same departments from different colleges all over the India. Some of the festivals are internationally known and attract the students from Europe & US to participate. The various departments of festivals are given below:
- Chemical Engineering called as Udbhav festival.
- Ceramic Engineering named as Keramos festival
- Civil Engineering called as Ship Festival
- Electrical Engineering named as Prastuti festival
- Computer Science & Engineering named as Codefest
- Electronics Engineering named as Udyam festival
- Engineering Physics named as Jigyasa festival
- Mechanical Engineering named as Comet Festival
- Metallurgical Engineering named as Anveshan festival
- Mining Engineering named as Mettle festival
- Pharmaceutical Engineering named as Spirit Festival.Note: For study materials of JEE Main, JEE Advance and IIT JAM click here